Education at GCLS
One of the key mandates of the GCLS is to provide educational opportunities for our members and the general public regarding topics related to writing and to lesbian literature. This includes authors, readers, editors, and more.
The GCLS offers three educational programs (see below for more information):
- The GCLS Writing Academy;
- The Mentoring Program; and
- The Annual GCLS Conference.
Additionally, we offer a series of resources available to members who have purchased the "PLUS" option with their general membership. This option also provides:
- Recordings of Master Classes, Keynote and Special Speakers from Conferences, starting from the 2014 conference in Portland, OR;
- Recordings of presentations by faculty of the GCLS Writing Academy on various aspects of the craft of writing, doing research, and on various aspects of writing in their genre;
- GCLS Presents: The Author Salon - a series of interviews with highly regarded, award winning authors;
- A Resource listing of members who have volunteered to be available as a resource in their area of expertise (self-declared) to assist authors with information for their research;
- A resource listing of members who have volunteered to be beta readers for authors (self declared experience).
The GCLS Writing AcademyThe GCLS Writing Academy is a year long program for new writers who already have at least part of a novel written and who qualify regarding a number of different skills/attributes. Over the course of the year, the students 'begin at the beginning', covering the basics of grammar and writing, and then moving on to the foundations of writing, research methods, genre specific skills, the life of a writer, preparing to be published, and ends with a mentoring experience.
The Mentoring Program has been redesigned and has re-opened to provide quality mentoring opportunities for new writers whose writing is sufficiently advanced as to warrant the highly valuable time and energy of an award winning author as their mentor. This program assumes that the writer has already taken some courses in writing, has a significant amount written of their first novel, recognizes some of their shortcomings and is looking for a mentor to help them in the final stages of preparing their work for publication.
If you believe that you are ready for a mentor, please click here to access the Mentee Application Form. We accept applications all year round. There are two mentoring sessions per year, starting in January and in July.
If you are an award winning author and/or have significant experience in teaching and/or mentoring writers, please consider applying to be a mentor for this highly sought after program. There is nothing more rewarding than "Paying forward" to our new up and coming authors. Click here to apply to be a mentor.
The GCLS Annual Conference (aka "The Con")
When the GCLS first formed, the education component of the organization was limited to the annual conference which continues today, offering master classes, presentations, panels and general sessions as the educational component, along with author readings and chats and other activities focused on bringing readers and authors together.
Our Annual Conference is usually held in July and moves around the country each year. Our upcoming Conferences will be:
For more information on the next Conference, Click Here.
- July 22-25, 2015 - New Orleans. At the Hilton Riverside, New Orleans.
- July 6-10, 2016 - Washington, DC. At the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center.
- July 5-9, 2017 - Chicago, IL. At the Crowne Plaza, Chicago O'Hare.